Al-Sumait Prize for African Development in Food Security 2019 ($1,000,000 USD prize)
Applications are open for the Al-Sumait Prize for African Development 2019. The prize is to be awarded to individuals or institutions who through their research projects or initiatives have made signiﬁcant advancement to economic and social development in Africa.
The subject for the 2019 prize is Food Security. Research projects or initiatives must have made signiﬁcant advancement within one or more of the following areas of Food Security on the African Continent:
- Developing new varieties of seeds, crops or livestock which can improve the food security of the poor population in Africa by increasing the caloriﬁc and nutritional value of food produced and consumed domestically
- Provision of medical staff for the national health care systems (physicians, paramedics and nursing), medicine, pharmaceutical and medical equipment
- Improving farmers’ access to agricultural inputs, techniques, technologies and markets so as to increase the availability of staple products which form a core part of the diet of the poorest people in Africa
- Improving farmers’ resilience to climate change and extreme weather conditions
- Improving marketing and adopting modern business strategies
- Addressing issues relevant to gender equity in the field of the Prize
- The prize has a value of $1,000,000 USD.
- The nominated candidates’ research work or projects and initiatives must be innovative and must have achieved high-impact in line with international standards for the prize;
- The submitted work must be of paramount importance in promoting significant economic, social, human resources and infrastructure development in the African continent within the announced field of the prize;
- Submitted research work of a nominated candidate should be composed of studies and applied research, published in referred journals and recognized at a global level within the announced field. The research outcomes need to have been applied after publication in African countries within the past ten Adequate supporting evidence needs to be provided;
- Nominations are to be accepted from institutions and scientific centers (universities, institutes and centers of scientific research) as well as from competent regional or international and UN organizations and awards and former winners in the field of the prize or former evaluation members Nominations will only be accepted through institutions or other possible nominators mentioned above;
- All submissions must be submitted in English. If the work is carried out in other working UN languages, a comprehensive summary of the nominated work in English must be submitted.
Fill in the prize nomination form and send it along with the scientific production works electronically in PDF format via CD, DVD, Flash Memory or via the Kuwait Foundation for the Advancement of Sciences (KFAS) Prizes Office email [email protected]
About Jude Ogar
Jude is an educator and youth development practitioner. He is very passionate about the growth and development of young people, especially those in Africa. You can connect with him on Facebook (Jude D’genius Ogar) or Twitter @dgeniusjude